Historic Bethayres- In the Heart of Huntingdon Valley

 

Village Center

Just up the hill from SEPTA's Bethayres Regional Rail Station lies the historic village of Bethayres. Today Bethayres contains a mix of residences and businesses that fill the historic buildings along Huntingdon Pike in Lower Moreland Township. With a variety of retail shops, services and restaurants, historic Bethayres offers a little bit of everything for everyone.Bethayres flag cropped

The Neighborhood

There is a lot to love about Bethayres. For those who choose to stay, the adjacent neighborhoods on either side of Huntingdon Pike provide easy commuting to center city and beyond. A walkable neighborhood today, improvements are planned to make pedestrian access much easier. Montgomery County soon will complete the next section of the Pennypack Trail which will pass through the Bethayres neighborhood connecting 17 miles along the Pennypack Creek down to the Delaware River in northeast Philadelphia. Some of Pennsylvania's highest rated schools, Lower Moreland High School and the Murray Avenue Middle School, are just a short walk away. Also in the neighborhood are the Huntingdon Valley Library and the new 31 acre Valley Center Park.

The Township

Historic Bethayres lies entirely within Lower Moreland Township at the center of Huntingdon Valley. Lower Moreland Township boasts some of the highest standards of living in the greater Philadelphia area. Surrounded by over 1000 acres of open space, Lower Moreland has a rural character and a small-town feel, all less than 30 minutes by train to Center City Philadelphia.

Getting Here

Historic Bethayres lies within a larger historic area of Huntingdon Valley and Lower Moreland Township. There are areas to park behind the businesses on Huntingdon Pike for those who choose to drive or from the City, take SEPTA's West Trenton Regional Line to Bethayres. Want to bike? Soon the extended Pennypack Trail will lead from Northeast Philadelphia to the area. Park your bike at the Huntingdon Valley Trail Head and walk over on sidewalks to Bethayres.

Historic Bethayres- Frequently Asked Questions

Why Bethayres? Isn’t this Huntingdon Valley?

Actually, it is both. Historically, Bethayres is a smaller village within the larger Huntingdon Valley area. The old Huntingdon Valley Post Office was located just north of Red Lion Road while the old Bethayres Post Office was just north of the Welsh Road/Philmont Avenue intersection. At one point, they were combined to form the Bethayres-Huntingdon Valley Post Office before Bethayres was dropped from the US Postal Service.   Bethayres was named for “Beth Ayres” an early resident whose son was a railroad director when a new station was built in 1876 on the North Pennsylvania Railroad. He named it Beth Ayres in honor of his mother who had lived in the house at 2410 Huntingdon Pike.

Where is the exact location of Bethayres?

Lower Moreland’s historic district encompasses older areas of both Bethayres and Huntingdon Valley along Huntingdon Pike from the Bethayres Train Station to just north of Red Lion Road. Bethayres refers to both the historic district and the adjoining neighborhoods just beyond Huntingdon Pike.

Why not call it Historic Huntingdon Valley?

Technically it could be, but today Huntingdon Valley extends from the corner of Davisville and County Line Roads all the way to the border of Rockledge on Huntingdon Pike. That area encompasses portions of Abington, Lower Moreland, Upper Moreland, Upper Southampton and Lower Southampton - five distinct municipalities in Montgomery and Bucks Counties. Bethayres is wholly within Lower Moreland Township and is historically accurate. That makes it easier to market and identify to visitors. Having a SEPTA train station listed as “Bethayres” also helps identify and market the area. The historic Keystone Highway Marker for Bethayres can be found on Huntingdon Pike at Anne Street, half way up the hill in the historic district. Another Keystone Marker may be restored at Red Lion Rd and Philmont Avenue.

The area surrounding the intersection of Philmont Avenue and Huntingdon Pike has been called Bethayres since 1876 when the train station was built. As that corner leads up to businesses along Huntingdon Pike and also to those along Philmont Avenue and Welsh Road, it makes sense to market Bethayres as the gateway and center of business activity in the community. The Bethayres Train Station will help visitors locate the area. We intend to use “Historic Bethayres – In the Heart of Huntingdon Valley” to promote both names in a way that people will understand.